Monday, January 25, 2010
10 Things That Make Me Happy
Suzicate at The Water Witch's Daughter challenged me, and 19 of her other closest bloggy buddies, to list 10 Things That Make Me Happy.
The question reminded me of the time Clueless Young Husband and I were in adoption counseling and they asked us, "What can other people can do to make you happy?"
And CYH replied, "Give me money."
So, in that spirit, here are my 10 happy things:
1) Being given money. There is, by the way, a direct correlation between the amount of money and the resulting happiness.
2) When the Dems manage to pull their heads out of their asses and get something done. (Okay, that one's hypothetical.)
3) Tiny moments from everyday life. For example, a few months back I saw an aging biker in the grocery store parking lot, securing a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best to his chopper with bungee cords. To this day, the memory fills me with delight.
4) Getting up by 6 a.m. on Sundays, so that I have 3 and 1/2 hours to blog and generally fart around before I get ready for church.
5) My church, and, specifically, worship, which is the only place I get to sing my heart out, because it's best for everyone when louder voices drown mine out.
6) Logging into Blogger and finding a new Follower!
7) Sharing the tagline for my new novel-in-progress at the Central Ohio Fiction Writers Workshop Saturday and having people laugh loudly and a lot. The tagline: "On her 50th birthday, Ellen Arbogast receives two invitations in the mail: one to join the AARP, the other to attend a gallery-opening featuring nudes of her daughter, painted by the daughter's lesbian roommate."
8) (Most of) the people in my life (even when they're not giving me money).
9) Hiking at Charleston Falls with my friend, Pauline, who knows all about plants and trees and can usually answer my zillon-and-six questions.
10) Boss-cations: when the boss takes time off, giving us mice a chance to catch our breath, which is happening this very week. Yay!
I'm supposed to dub 10 more knights to sally forth on this quest, but I think I'll let future champions nominate themselves. If you do, let me know so I can pop over!