Monday, August 16, 2010

Best of Buf


Each of us, when he or she writes, has in mind an Ideal Reader whom we're trying to reach. With each phrase, we consciously or unconsciously tune our communication to one frequency, trying to elicit a specific emotion from this Reader.

Over the past couple of weeks I've come to realize that my Reader, particularly for my jokes, was a man known in blogworld as Buffalodick. though in liveworld he went by the name of Richard DeYoung.

The author of a mostly-cooking blog called Opinions and Rectums, We All Got One, Buf died suddenly on July 26th, a fact which his son was kind enough to login and share with us later that day. Buf has been leaving me comments since about six weeks after I fired up the Chronicles. Usually funny, often sardonic, what made Buf my Reader was that for my Old Jokes, he was outright critical, letting me know when I was trying to resurrect an oldy moldy, when I failed to bring the funny, and, on rare occasions, when I nailed one.

Oftentimes comments would lead to email exchanges that would go on for days, swapping stories and sharing ideas.

I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss that.

Herewith are some prime Buf moments:

In response to a list of 7 Things that Are Difficult to Do:

I've gotten into a pair of pantyhose easily, but had to buy her a new pair afterward! HeeHeeHee....

To my post a few weeks back, regarding my deep-seated fear of underpants:

My whitey tighties become a thong the first time I bend over that day...

After an Old Joke set in Ireland:

Better!
Irish diddy..
I finally met the girl of me dreams.
Who could ask for more?
She's deaf, she's dumb, and oversexed,
And owns a liquor store...


He had a serious side, too. Regarding a post on an awkward lunch with an old high school flame:

Our lives are made up of moments where decisions were not even made consciously, but affected our lives and the events in our lives forever. If I got half of what I wanted, I'd be in jail! If I got half of what I deserved- same result!


When I grumbled about receiving an ad, via the mail, selling pre-paid funeral services, he said:

I'm to be cremated, and my wife will take the ashes, send them to the four winds, and say "Here's the blow job you always were bothering me about"....

And in response to the December, 2008 post of my short story, "The Year of Our Charlie Brown Christmas":

These are what memories are about- good, bad, they all create who we are and who we become! You only have X amount of air left to breath- breathe deeply!


I'm pretty sure you did that, Buf.

12 comments:

madtexter (corey james) said...

That's a wonderful memorial. Too bad I didn't know about Buf until now. And 'Buffalodick' - that's a tough name to live up to. I wonder if his...oh, never mind.

Boonsong said...

I feel for you. Take care.

All the best, Boonsong

Blissed-Out Grandma said...

What a nice tribute. In a way, he'll probably still be your ideal reader.

Steven G said...

On a summer day like this, I'm sure Buf would have been stopping by the gas station, to buy an ice cold Coke. His bike, on its kick stand, his hair sweaty, and his mind on being home before Mom had dinner ready. Long before the true knowledge of sin and conflict kept him up at night, I hope he loved the life of a road warrior. I loved his smartass remarks and his words of wisdom for Miss Raisy! Long before Kevlar, gigabytes, and Doctors, I am glad we shared the same timeline, and the same laughs.

So, Buf, sail on and keep reading.

sweatha said...

A Tribute to Theatre
The Murugan Theatre. It is one of the theatres in Thiruthangal, a small town near the famous industrial town of Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu. The small town had three theatres in those days (1980s). Chinnaknai Theatre was in the northern corner of the town and Balaji Talkies was at the other end, in the southern corner

We proud inviting you to the the internet's best Social community. www.jeejix.com .

瑰潼 said...

多謝美味的心靈雞湯................................................................

kyknoord said...

Humour is the best legacy. When I'm dead, I want people to say, "Damn, but he owed me lots of money!" (I think the mouldy ones are the best)

Jo said...

Fantastic post! What a great egg he was! How blessed you were to be in each others' lives.

Thank you so much for sharing his -- and your -- insight.

Peace and serenity,
~Jo
'The End Of The Rainbow: Life After Bankruptcy'

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so sorry Jeanne, I always liked his comebacks too.. I did not read his blog. I am glad that you did..it is very hard to lose a blogging friend especially one that makes you smile. I lost one last December..it was hard, it is hard..and it is still hard. Some people you really connect with. How nice of his son to let everyone know what happened:(

Debbie said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm also sorry I didn't get to know him. He sounds like a gem.

Rachel Cotterill said...

That's a nice tribute. Wonder what he'd say to this...

said...

享受你自己的生活,不要與他人相比。..................................................... ............

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails